Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Blog Interview With Hair Stylist Madame Pompadour

Interview with Hair Stylist Madame Pompadour



Hello!  Today, I wanted to share an interview with you about someone very special I met this year.  My new hair stylist/ artist!  Her name is Danielle June, or otherwise known as “Madame Pompadour”.  I was a little nervous about switching to a new hair stylist because I had been with my last stylist for over 10 years!  I’m extremely selective about who I choose to cut and dye my hair, and as you can see, I’m a very loyal client.  The most important skill besides cutting and coloring in my opinion, is the ability to listen.  Hairstylists who actually listen to your vision of what you desire are the best at their craft. Madame Pompadour does wonderful work because she cares and listens.  So,now it’s time to share her story…

Thank you for coming on the blog today to share your story with us!

How did you get started in the styling industry and what types of work have you done?

I worked in an office setting after high school, and it bored the pants off me, but I didn't want to go to college.  I did not like the routine of a 9-5.  I hated authority, and I wanted to get more tattoos.  I loved fashion and I loved playing with my own hair and makeup, so I enrolled in beauty school!


I started working in a salon while I was attending beauty school.  I assisted the owner of that salon for 2 years then went on to another salon after I obtained my license, to start my own career and build a clientele.  I was the only stylist in my salon that would do updos for weddings. For some reason nobody wanted to them.  I realized one of my strongest points was styling hair.  I was doing so many weddings and building up a portfolio of professional wedding photographs.  (There was no internet back then!). It occurred to me that having photographs of my work was good for my reputation.  I was young and just trying to figure it out.  During this time I was developing my personal style.  Friends of mine were thrifting vintage (which was so cheap and plentiful back then!) and I was attracted to the 50s and 60s era of clothing and furniture.  I would go to Meow Vintage in Long Beach. While I was shopping at Meow, I saw the flyer for Viva Las Vegas.  It was the first year they were putting it on and I went....I was so happy to see people there who were like me, strolling around the car show in cute day dresses and their hair done in victory rolls.  I felt like I belonged!  I considered myself to be a part of the rockabilly community after VLV 1 and focused on learning to do styles from those eras.




Whenever I stop by, whoever you are with, I can tell they’re having a fantastic time chatting up a storm with you.  I remember the first time we met, we instantly connected out of our mutual love for vintage style!  What is it that you enjoy the most about your work?

I am genuinely interested in making women feel good about themselves. I've made it my life's mission. There are too many women in society that have low self-esteem and I feel like I was put on this earth to boost a woman's morale.



The first time I stepped into your hair studio, I perused through a book of professional photos taken of gorgeous women styled in a classically beautiful way.  Why do you enjoy classic styling and what is your favorite era?

 I love classic styling so much, it's visually beautiful to me. I started doing hair in the late 80, when everyone's hair was gigantic and hair sprayed and just generally ugly!  I grew up watching MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s on television.  I loved how sculpted, shiny and feminine the women's hair looked in those old movies! 



It was a wonderful book!  Can you tell me a little bit about what it’s like to work on photo shoots with professional models and photographers and what was your favorite photo shoot? 

Working on photo shoots are so much fun!! We are all there together to create a vision and it's kind of a tribal feeling.  It can be long tiring intense all of those things but so gratifying, when you see the final result!



What advice would you give hair stylists/ artists who are just starting in the industry?

 I think that I would offer new stylist this advice:

Be on time, keep your nose out of gossip.  Take an educational class at least 2 times a year. Be detail oriented, invest in your tools, stay on top of trends, make guests feel as welcome as possible. They are your bread-and-butter!




Thank you Danielle! This was a fantastic interview and I love your work.


If you would like to make an appointment with Danielle, please visit her website @ www.MadamePomp.com

11 comments:

  1. This post is honestly so inspirational, you can tell she's worked from scratch to build up a successful career! Loved the photos too thanks so much for sharing this was such an interesting read xxx


    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you think so Izzy! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Danielle does the most amazing work!! I can’t wait to see what comes from this collaboration- I know it will be awesome 👏🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited too! Thanks for stopping by Joanna:)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much to share this article. Madame Pompadour looks fabulous in pin colored hair. I really enjoyed your article. Keep writing for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice piece of information from the pocket of author, Its very informative for me. If want find hairstylist Salon, and Skin Treatment in Ottawa please visit to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UMA Makeover is a best Hair Stylist Artist in Udaipur. Uma Makeover Brings for you best high quality hair stylist and with Latest New techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for eyelash treatment? Amy Laser and Spa has an assortment of amazing lash treatment for beginners and ace eye makeup lovers. For women who have light or thin eyelashes, a lash treatment could be just what you need to get thicker lashes. Spa new West

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative post! Many people are dealing with Hair problem nowadays due to various unavoidable factors. However, now you can get over the hair issue by availing the best hair salon in jersey city at low cost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too good information that you shared. It would be so useful post for those are searching for Barber Shop Waukesha.

    ReplyDelete