Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day!







Happy Mother’s Day!

Hello!  Today I wanted to share a very special message with you about how we create who we become.  My mother has passed, but she taught me a lot about becoming who I am.

Our mothers give us life and teach us who to become.

What are you? And where did you come from?  These are the two most common questions I can remember being asked on a daily basis as early as I can remember.  Attending my first days in elementary school, I knew I was different.  I grew up in a multi-racial family.  My mother was Caucasian and Latina, and my dad was Okinawan Japanese.  I grew up with a mixed American/ Hawaiian and Japanese culture sprinkled with doses of Latin culture in the mix.  Trying to explain it all right now seems like a qualitative research paper in a dissertation, but inside our home, it felt “normal”.  However, when I went to school, I noticed I didn’t look like other kids and they didn’t look like me.  I started to feel strange, self-conscious, and extremely insecure about the way I looked. And when people asked these two categorizing questions, it felt like discrimination.  It’s okay to be curious and ask, but honestly, who normally greets people like that when you first meet them?  I wanted to feel accepted, but I knew that this may not be possible, so oftentimes I spent time alone on my own.

As I grew up and time passed, I realized that this was going to be my “normal greeting” for the rest of my life.  I guess you can say that eventually I got used to being comfortable with being uncomfortable.  I also realized that in order to overcome this feeling of “otherness”, I had to start putting myself in other people’s shoes and start approaching this situation with a frame of mind from varied perspectives.   This experience is also what sparked my curiosity in learning about other people who were not like me in both lifestyle and culture.

See, looking or seeming different than the norm doesn’t have to seem scary and strange.  “Otherness” is just something we don’t yet understand.  However, I do think that “otherness” is something that needs to be understood.  For instance, my mother didn’t dress in heels and dresses like other mothers did when I was growing up.  She actually wore jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers, and didn’t wear makeup.  She didn’t look at all like my other friend’s mothers.  It was a bold move at that time.  She wanted to feel comfortable being herself and have confidence in who she was.  This quality is something that I have always admired in my mother, and I will never forget this about her.

My mother also had a skin condition called vitiligo which is a lack of pigment in her skin with white patches, so that made her even more special and unique.  My mother was a unique and creative individual and I feel that I take after her a lot.  She was also the strongest woman I’ve ever known.  She endured the cancer that she had been fighting through for twenty-one years and was fortunate enough to have had the privilege of caring for her through it and witnessed her strength and resilience. 

Teaching me strength and resilience is the best gift she could have taught me. I believe that experiencing what is like to be different and unique actually makes us both stronger and wiser, not only because we now understand how discrimination feels, but also how “otherness” can be seen from other people’s perspectives.
It’s Mother’s Day (and for me Adopted Mother’s Day)!  God knew what he was doing when he took her home. He blessed me with so many more adopted mothers from different races and cultures and I will be eternally grateful for this. Thank You:)

 Let’s celebrate by reaching out and appreciating all of our mothers for teaching us about Kindness and Acceptance.

Let’s celebrate by showing appreciation to our mothers for raising us with their Strength and Resiliency.

Let’s work on appreciating one another for our “unique otherness” and be more open to understanding whatever disability, race, religion, gender, or cultural difference that may be different than what we currently know.

This is who I have become.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!

With Love,

Joanna 


12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, it does sound like she was the kind of women, one is privileged to know and be around. It was wonderful to read how inspired you felt by her and how much you have learned from her, that's really precious.

    I always feel like belonging to different cultures (either linguistically or ethnically) is both a challenge and a privilege. A challenge because people are always trying to fit you in one category and they get confused if you don't fit the 'norms'. Why should anyone fit any norm anyway? Otherness is a beautiful thing, being different is something to be embraced. Belonging to different cultures opens our mind.

    I think it is very rude to ask someone about their race when you first meet them. I don't think it always comes from the wrong place, sometimes people are just curious, but to me it just seems so rude. I didn't have that growing up, because where I'm from most girls looked like me but I would sometimes get those kind of comments from people from other countries. When I was younger, I used to spend a lot of time on the beach or swimming, so I was always very tanned. I remember being asked whether I was adopted from Africa and that sort of thing. It is a odd when you feel like people you have just met are interrogating you, it does feel rude. However, it is wonderful how you took that as an opportunity to learn more about other cultures and to try to understand others and where they are coming from. That's really inspiring!

    I feel like I belong to two cultures myself, Latin and Slavic one. Latin because I'm a Roman catholic, and Slavic because that's my mother tongue and ethnicity. The country I'm from in a Roman catholic one, Croatian culture is a bit of a mix between the West/ Central Europe influences and the East European influences and I always liked that. I feel like both of these cultures are a part of me. I feel like Latin people are my people, since I love Latin languages and cultures, and culturally I would describe myself a Mediterranean. On the other hand, I also feel like all Slavs are also my people, because we share culture, language, mythology, traditions and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Ivana. It's always interesting to hear about other people's perspectives from their experiences relating to their background. There is so much diversity in the world.

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet gesture.
    Happy Mothers day to all lovely women in the world

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

      Delete
  4. thank you for sharing this post
    I love those photos

    vnssachn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unas fotos preciosas! feliz domingo!๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

    ReplyDelete
  6. much love!!

    www.enricasciarretta.com

    ReplyDelete