Thursday, April 19, 2018

Interview with Artist Marina Mourao of MarinaMourao.com

Illustration By: Marina Mourao


Artist: Marina Mourao

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO READ INTERVIEW IN PORTUGUESE. 

Translated by Google Translate.

Ola! Today I want to introduce you to a fascinating and talented woman.  Her name is Marina Mourao and she is an award-winning artist from Portugal. We met through Instagram and I have been following her ever since. Her charming work of art is unlike anything I've seen before. It is constantly evolving into something ever more beautiful and unique. In my opinion, that is the most fascinating thing about art ... you never know what will come next!

Ola! Hoje quero apresentar uma mulher fascinante e talentosa. O nome dela é Marina Mourao e é um artista e ilustrador premiado de Portugal. Nós nos conhecemos através do Instagram e a seguimos desde então. Sua encantadora obra de arte é diferente de tudo que já vi antes. Está evoluindo constantemente para algo cada vez mais bonito e único. Na minha opinião, essa é a coisa mais fascinante da arte ... você nunca sabe o que virá a seguir!


Artist: Marina Mourao

Hi Marina! Thank you for sharing your time with us. It's so exciting to finally interview you for my blog.

Oi Marina! Obrigado por compartilhar seu tempo conosco. É tão emocionante finalmente entrevistá-lo para o meu blog.

Artist: Marina Mourao
When did you first know that you wanted to become an artist / illustrator? 

Como você primeiro soube que queria se tornar um artista / ilustrador?

I remember it all started when I won my first box of crayons and began to draw pictures, it was a happiness so great that I could not stop coloring! I have a large family and twelve brothers.  Life was not easy at the time, but our childhood was very funny, stimulated by our mother, we created our own toys and I think it helped to awaken my love for art. My mother is a wonderful seamstress, she now is 83 years old and is still working for pleasure. I grew up among silks, lace, tulle, golden threads and much embroidery.  At 9 years old I was creating fashion illustrations for clients of my mother.


Lembro-me de que tudo começou quando ganhei a minha primeira caixa de lápis de cor e comecei a fazer desenhos, foi uma felicidade tão grande que não conseguia parar de colorir!  Tenho uma família numerosa, eu e mais doze irmãos, a vida não era fácil naquele tempo, porém nossa infância foi muito divertida, estimulados pela nossa mãe, criávamos os nossos próprios brinquedos  e penso que isso contribuiu para despertar o meu amor pela arte. Minha máe é uma costureira maravilhosa, tem hoje 83 e continua trabalhando por puro prazer. Eu cresci entre sedas, rendas, tules, fios dourados e muitos bordados e aos 9 anos de idade,  já criava ilustração de moda para as clientes da minha mãe. 
Illustration By: Marina Mourao

Illustration By: Marina Mourao


Tell me about your work experiece in the industry and are you self-taught or did you go to school to learn your craft?

Qual é o seu histórico na indústria (qual é a sua experiência de trabalho) e você é autodidata ou você foi à escola para aprender seu ofício? 

I was born in Brazil and at 10 years old I already worked creating posters for teachers who needed educational materials to teach in schools.  I draw on any surface and in any size. I drew and painted geographical maps, the human figure, plants, animals, flowers and more. Later, I went to university to study to become a dentist and made parallel decorative arts courses, jewelery, sewing, upholstery. However, I received an invitation to work as a dentist in Portugal and went! I was enchanted by the cultural wealth of the country and that's where my art blossomed. I had a Portuguese teacher that led to my improvement in portraiture and also took courses on baroque and medieval art. In 2009, I began to show my work in group and solo exhibitions and invitations were not long in coming. Today, I am represented in national and international collections and with various awards won by the way.



Nasci no Brasil  e aos 10 anos de idade já trabalhava criando cartazes para os professores que necessitavam  de material didático para ensinar nas escolas Eu  desenhava em qualquer superfície e em qualquer tamanho. Desenhei e pintei mapas geográficos,  a figura humana, plantas, animais, flores entre outros. Mais tarde fui para a Universidade estudar para Dentista e paralelamente fiz  cursos de artes decorativas, bijouteria, costura, tapeçaria. Entretanto surgiu um convite para trabalhar como Dentista em Portugal e fui! Encantei-me pela riqueza cultural do País e foi aí que minha Arte desabrochou. Tive um professor português para aprimorar-me  na arte do retrato, fiz também cursos sobre  arte barroca e medieval. Em 2009  comecei  a mostrar meu trabalho em Exposições coletivas e individuais  e os convites não tardaram a chegar. Hoje estou representada em coleções nacionais e internacionais e com vários prêmios conquistados pelo caminho. 


Illustration By: Marina Mourao

Illustration By: Marina Mourao


Illustration By: Marina Mourao
Who is your favorite artist and where do you get your inspiration from?


Quem é o seu artista favorito e de onde você se inspira? 

My favorite artist is my sister Marcilia Mourao, she studied Fine Arts and taught me everything I learned at university, Her art is wonderful! The masters of the past also fascinate me! really like Leonardo Da Vinci, Gustav Klimt and Gil Elvgren. I am inspired by the worldwide culture: music, dance, costumes, history, lifestyle, decoration. In my works of art the feminine universe is almost always present.  I want to recognize women giving them depth, beauty, movement, and poetry. Contraponho me superficiality that often women and their universe are treated by society without losing the beauty of the textures, the plot of the embroidery and the dorado I love so much! The equestrian world is also fascinating and can not remain indifferent to it.

Meu artista favorito é minha irmã Marcília Mourão, ela estudou Belas Artes e me ensinou tudo que aprendeu na Universidade, A Arte dela é maravilhosa! Os mestres do passado também fascinam-me!  gosto muito do Leonardo Da Vinci, Gustav Klimt e Gil Elvgren. Eu sou inpirada pela cultura do mundo todo: músicas, danças, trajes típicos, história, estilo de vida, decoração. Nas minhas  obras de arte o universo feminino está quase sempre presente,  eu quero reconhecer as mulheres  conferindo-lhes profundidade, beleza , movimento. e poesia. Contraponho-me à superficialidade com que, muitas vezes, a mulher e o seu universo são tratados pela sociedade sem perder a beleza das texturas, da trama dos bordados e o dorado que tanto amo!  O mundo equestre também é fascinante e não consigo  ficar indiferente à ele.


Artist: Marina Mourao

Illustration By: Marina Mourao

This is an illustration of me by Marina Mourao 
I see that you travel a lot. What is your favorite city and why is it your favorite place to visit?


Vejo que você viaja muito. Qual é a sua cidade favorita e por que é o seu lugar favorito para visitar?

Traveling is my biggest investment and some have called me a "treasure hunter".  I am always hoping to find something dazzling to enrich my art. I like old places, full of stories and I can name two cities that have captivated me immensely: Marrakech with its terracotta colors, perfumes, exotic caftans and gold in Athens in Greece, a city that has a veritable outdoor museum ... unforgettable!

Viajar é meu maior investimento e auto denominei-me "caçadora de tesouros", sempre fico na expectativa de encontrar algo deslumbrante que vá enriquecer minha arte. Gosto de lugares antigos, cheios de histórias e posso citar duas cidades que cativaram-me imensamente:  Marrakech  com suas cores terracota,  perfumes, caftans exóticos. e muito dourado e Atenas na Grécia, uma cidade que é um autêntico museu ao ar livre...inesquecível!
Illustration By: Marina Mourao

Artist: Marina Mourao

You create many really lovely fashion illustrations, who is your favorite designer and where is your favorite place to shop?

Você cria muitas ilustrações de moda realmente adoráveis, quem é seu designer favorito e onde é o seu lugar favorito para comprar? 

I have a few favorites:Elie Saab and Zuhair Murad.  It's embroidered dresses are lovely and worthy of fairy tales. Etro, for that mixture of noble materials and natural fibers, the amazing Marc Jacobs, and without forgetting the teatratlidade Christian Lacroix who always fascinou- me!
Trendy am very eclectic and do not follow trends too, I like to create them! :)))  Sometimes I mix brands of clothes with clothes affordable, when time permits, I create and sew my own clothes.


Tenho alguns favoritos, Elie Saab e Zuhair Murad , os seus vestidos bordados são encantadores e dignos de contos de fadas, Etro, que mistura de materiais nobres e fibras naturais, o surpreendente Marc Jacobs, sem esquecer a teatratlidade de Christian Lacroix  que sempre fascinou-me! 
Na moda sou muito eclética e não sigo muito as tendências, gosto de criá-las! :))) 

Às vezes misturo roupas de marcas com roupas com preços acessíveis, quando o tempo permite, eu crio e costuro minha própria roupa.
Illustration By: Marina Mourao

Illustration By: Marina Mourao
What advice would you give to artists who are just starting their careers?

Que conselho você daria a artistas que estão apenas começando em suas carreiras? 

Do not give up the dream! Work, improve, try to do something unique and that has your soul! And do not forget to show it to the world. Is this laborious ??? No doubt! For example, it is difficult to reconcile my time as a dentist, artist and take care of the family, but I have a very powerful weapon, LOVE, he who gives me strength every day to fight for my dreams and if you also have, fight claw evocê will fly high! Good luck!

Não desistir do sonhos! trabalhem, melhorem, tentem fazer algo único e que tenha a sua alma! E não esqueçam de mostrar tudo para o mundo. Se isso é trabalhoso??? Sem dúvida! Por exemplo, é complicado conciliar meu tempo como dentista, artista e cuidar da família, mas eu tenho uma arma muito poderosa, AMOR, ele que me dá forças todos os dias para lutar pelos meus sonhos e se você também a tem, lute com garra evocê vai voar alto! Boa sorte!


Where can we find you?



Thank you Marina! This was a fascinating interview and I am so glad we were able to make it work as I do not speak your language.  I love your beautiful art so much and I am so grateful that you were able to share your insights and inspire others through this interview.

Obrigado Marina! Esta foi uma entrevista fascinante e estou muito feliz por termos conseguido fazê-la funcionar, já que não falo sua língua. Eu amo muito sua linda arte, e sou muito grata por você ter sido capaz de compartilhar e inspirar outras pessoas através desta entrevista.
  









5 comments:

  1. what an amazing artist! Marina seems like such an interesting person. I can understand her passion for travel for it is a great way to find inspiration. Travel is a great way to get our creative juices flowing. Her fashion illustrations/paintings are so unique. Thank you for sharing this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed reding her post. Marina is such an interesting person and I really enjoy looking at her travel photos and art.

      Delete
  2. Her work is absolutely incredible!! Travel is one of the best ways to find inspiration. Her portrait of you is truly beautiful.

    Amanda
    Enchantingelegance.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda. It was really nice of her to do a portrait of me, she surprised me on that one. I have never seen art like hers before, she has a unique style of her own indeed. I agree, travel is a great way to find inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Dear Joanna Joy,
    Thank you so much for the lovely invitation and opportunity to talk a little about me and my art. I enjoyed the loving comments ! Welcome everyone

    ReplyDelete