Monday, February 12, 2018

Meaningful Mondays: Who Cares What Other People Think

My mom surfing in Redondo Beach, CA


Have you started clearing out all of your old stuff to make room for the joys of the new year? In the process, have you stumbled upon old photos or sentimental items that bring up bittersweet memories?  Sometimes when I have to sort through my belongings, I find old photos and it forces me to reminisce about the days when my mother was still alive and having dinner together every night as a family.  As I was sorting, I happened to come across this photo of her in Redondo Beach, California circa a very long time ago haha...before I was born at least.  As some of you may know, she passed away from breast cancer several years ago.  This is actually a photo of her from her "Gidget" days (it's an old TV show), well...at least that's what I like to call it.  She used to surf on longboards, can you believe it?  It was very uncommon for women to surf at that time, so I guess you can also say that my mom was a rebel at heart haha...and honestly, I think it was pretty darn awesome!


I began to think about all the things she used to say to me while I was growing up.  She always said, 


"Who cares what other people think. Just Do It."  


A lot of us get so caught up in the idea of perfection and the "what ifs" of life.  We allow fear, anxiety, and insecurity to creep in.  It's the fear of not living up to other people's expectations of who we should be, the fear of failure, disappointment, and comparison.  Then you realize that time is passing.  Time is always passing...and it's your life!  You have to live your life in your own way and do what makes you happy.

I thought it would be fun to put up some quotes from my mom on my blog every so often.  So, you might see "Gidget Mom" photos and quotes on my blog and Instagram in the future.  She was a tough mom, but I think I turned out okay:)   

This is my favorite picture of her because it truly represents her bold spirit of doing things she loved in life regardless of what other people thought!  I've been reflecting a lot lately about people I've lost.  You have to keep those memories alive, it's their story and their legacy. 

Feel free to share some of your favorite quotes in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you:)

Hope you have a wonderful week:)

Joanna

2 comments: